The bass clarinet duo Sqwonk (Jeff Anderle and Jonathan Russell) joins us to talk about music for their chosen instrument, collaborating from around the world, and the fabled Appalachian creature that (sort of) shares their name.
- Jeff Anderle and Jonathan Russell explain the difference between the words Sqwonk and Squonk, and also how two bass clarinets playing together is really a thing now.
- We discuss Frank J. Oteri’s musings on the benefits and limitations of amateur music-making and community performance.
- There is a GOP proposal to cut the federal arts budget in half. Big deal?
- Pandora will offer more classical station options with the broadcast of full works, not just movements. Here’s to Movement II of Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 3 going into Movement III!
- A new publishing model shows its head. Will it work?