- This week on SoundNotion, the panel discusses Charles Wuorinen‘s opera Brokeback Mountain which is streaming for free now at medici.tv (based on the original short story).
- Recent Billboard numbers could indicate the beginning of the end for audio CDs.
- Osmo Vänskä wants to return to Minnesota over CEO Michael Henson‘s fired body.
- President Obama to nominate Jane Chu, current president of the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts in Kansas City, to chair the NEA.
- The panel has some strong words of criticism and praise for Dennis Tobenski‘s NewMusicBox piece on the business of being a composer. (It inspired Dave to try Gumroad.)
- And Amazon Original Series has a new soap opera set in a symphony orchestra, Mozart in the Jungle (the panel liked the pilot episode).
- Mozart in the Jungle pilot episode – Amazon Prime
CORRECTION: In the episode, we erroneously gave the impression that you must be an Amazon Prime subscriber to watch the pilot episode of Mozart in the Jungle. Blair Tindall, author of the book on which the show is based, let us know that this is not the case. Anybody can watch without being a Prime member. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for setting us straight, Blair. Hooray free things!