This week on SoundNotion, we have composer/educator Marc Mellits. We listen to his work for traditional string band performed by Jake Schepps and the Expedition Quintet and discuss his Mellits Consortium commission Gravity for percussion quartet.
- This week on SoundNotion, we have composer/educator Marc Mellits.
- He brought his work Flatiron for traditional string band, recorded by Jake Schepps and the Expedition Quintet.
- We also discuss Marc’s percussion quartet (sometimes quintet) Gravity. The work is the product of the Mellits Consortium organized by Thad Anderson.
- Marc is also excited about and new approach to undergraduate composition at the University of Illinois at Chicago in which students will work closely with ensembles in residence. Kicking off the residency program will be Latitude 49.
- WEIRD AL IS TOPPING THE CHARTS! Do we need to say more?
- Peter Gelb sent a letter to all of The Met unions who have contracts set to expire on July 31st saying that if no agreement is reached by then, to expect a lock out.
- This year’s Bayreuth Festival stumbles out of the gate with set pieces falling on the stage and the conspicuous absence of Chancellor Angela Merkel (a known enthusiastic Wagnerian).
- Have you seen the beautiful animated scores by Stephen Malinowski? If not, then do yourself a favor. He wants to give the same treatment to a collection of works by Conlon Nancarrow and is asking for your help.