This week on SoundNotion, we ponder questions for the ages. What does it mean to be a music entrepreneur (or is there such a thing)? What do you say when people ask you what kind of music you compose? Have a question about music that you’re afraid to ask?
- This week on SoundNotion, we ponder questions for the ages. What is a music entrepreneur (ICE CEO and artistic director Claire Chase should know)? Is there such a thing (R. Andrew Lee says no. Alex Shapiro says yes.)? Has it always been a thing and now we’re just giving it a name (Dave says yes)? Want to hear more from Andrew or Alex. They’ve both been on the show.
- And speaking of giving something a name, Dean C. Minderman at NewMusicBox wants to know what you tell someone who asks what kind of music you perform or composer? Hmmm… new, modern, concert, art, experimental, new classical, post classical, alt classical, indie classical, contemporary classical, avant garde, serious music…
- Ellen McSweeney wants to know, ever have a question about music that you were afraid to ask? Her NewMusicBox series Matters of the Art is for you.
- On SoundNotion 152, we featured all four finalists the the 2014 American Composers Forum National Composition Contest. The votes are in and Todd Lerew wins with his work for So Percussion flagging entrainment of ultradian rhythms and the consequences thereof.
- Chicago based music critic Lawrence A. Johnson wants to hear more American music being performed, so he decided to do something about it. The American Music Project will support this goal with commissions and grants for performances.
- The music world bids farewell to Australian composer Peter Sculthorpe (1929-2014).