This week on SoundNotion Dave, Sam, and Patrick talk the Kennedy Center Honors, Nonesuch Records at 50, the Metropolitan Opera layoffs, the benefits of learning an instrument and dangerous scourge of elderly cane wielding opera patrons.
- This week on SoundNotion, the panel very reluctantly discusses the Atlanta Symphony labor lockout. Musician propaganda here. Admin propaganda here. Drew McManus has some thoughts as well.
- Paola Prestini has started a new contemporary music label. VIA Records is an offshoot of intermedia outfit VisionIntoArt and will focus on interdisciplinary project commissions.
- The Met Opera cuts 22 non-union administration jobs. Now down from 254 positions to a svelte 232.
- Speaking of opera. If you find yourself late for an opera in England, watch out for guys with canes (especially if you drive a cab).
- The panel wishes a hardy happy 50th to Nonesuch Records.
- Turns out, learning to play an instrument helps make you talk good.
- Alex Ross has some stern words for the Kennedy Center Honors. The panel agrees.