SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
In this episode we talk about the new score to Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation by Joe Kraemer and Carter Burwell’s score to Mr. Holmes, the 2015 Emmy nominations, new CD releases, and an article by Alex Ross.
- Cool article by Alex Ross re: MI: Rogue Nation
- Emmy nominations
- Bill’s been listening to Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Joe Kraemer)
- Kevin’s been listening to Mr. Holmes (Burwell), M:I 5 (Joe Kraemer)
- New CD Releases: Homeward Bound (B Broughton), Cat’s Eye (Alan Silvestri), Adventures in Babysitting (Michael Kamen), The Aviator (Dominic Frontiere), Gremlins 2 expanded (Goldsmith), Return to Oz (Shire), Searching for Bobby Fischer (Horner), Outbreak 2CD (JN Howard), A.I. 3CD (Williams)
- Quick mentions: Fantastic Four (Beltrami and Glass), The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Daniel Pemberton)
In this episode we talk about the loss of James Horner and what it means to us, a special concert of Star Wars music at Comic Con, Simon Rattle conducting Star Wars music with the Berlin Philharmonic, and our thoughts on some of the big summer movie scores.
- Danny Elfman has a new house.
- San Diego symphony performs a free concert at Comic Con.
- James Horner has passed away.
- Bill’s been listening to Jurassic World (Giacchino) and Avengers: Age of Ultron (Elfman, Tyler).
- Kevin’s been listening to Jurassic World (Giacchino), Avengers: Age of Ultron (Elfman, Tyler), and Ant-Man (Beck).
- Simon Rattle conducts music from Star Wars with the Berlin Philharmonic
In this episode we interview Downton Abbey composer John Lunn, talk about what we’ve been listening to lately, discuss the summer scores of Brian Tyler and Michael Giacchino, and look at headlines.
- Hans Zimmer played keyboard in a live orchestra performance of Interstellar.
- AFM sues major studios over international scores.
- Variety has an article about the Summer of Giacchino.
- Brian Tyler on Furious 7 and Avengers music.
- Score review of Age of Ultron from Examiner.
- Ratatouille in Concert at Royal Albert Hall on 10/28/15.
- Bill has been listening to Flash, Arrow (Blake Neely), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Bear McCreary), Avengers: Age of Ultron (Danny Elfman, Brian Tyler), Daredevil (John Paesano), Jupiter Ascending (M Giacchino)
- Kevin has been listening to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (McCreary), Better Call Saul (Dave Porter), Tomorrowland preview at Epcot (Giacchino)
- Interview with John Lunn.
In this episode we cover a ton of recent news, interviews, awards, announcements, and upcoming scoring assignments. We discuss the new score released by Omni Music Publishing: Silverado, plus what we’ve been listening to lately.
- Awards: John Williams wins a Grammy for Book Thief, Desplat wins an Oscar, a Grammy, and BAFTA for Grand Budapest Hotel, and John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn for music and lyrics to the song Glory (from Selma), James Newton Howard to receive Max Steiner Award at 8th Annual Hollywood in Vienna; Elliot Goldenthal to receive ASCAP Founders Award.
- Interviews: interview with Zimmer, Jeff Beal NPR interview, Randy Newman being trouble for directors, Elfman 50 Shades of Gray video
- NPR discusses a score that’s ineligible to win an Oscar
- Avengers: Age of Ultron poster says “Music by Brian Tyler; Additional Music By Danny Elfman”
- Hans Zimmer to write all hero themes for BvS.
- Desplat to score Star Wars spinoff.
- Thomas Newman will score new Spielberg film Bridge of Spies instead of John Williams
- The Star Wars: Force Awakens score will record in Los Angeles and not London
- Silverado released from Omni Music Publishing
- Pacific Symphony premiered JNH Violin Concerto a few weeks ago.
- The Pittsburgh Pops announced a Howard Shore concert to close their 2015-16 season. June 24-26, 2016
- Randy Newman to perform with KC Symphony June 10th
- What We’ve Been Listening To:
- Bill: Flash, Arrow (Blake Neely), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Walking Dead (Bear McCreary), House of Cards Season 3 (Jeff Beal)
- Kevin: Game of Thrones
In this episode we talk to Gloria Cheng about her new album, look at the Oscar nominations, some recent news about Hans Zimmer and Alexander Desplat, Lord of the Rings concert news, and what Bill’s been listening to lately.
- Michael Mann responds to Harry Gregson-Williams Facebook post about the Blackhat score.
- Hans Zimmer bits:
- Alexander Desplat bits:
- Philip Glass and Marco Beltrami to co-score The Fantastic Four.
- Kickstarter project Score: A Film Music Documentary launches Feb. 15.
- Symphony Silicon Valley to play two LOTR cycles in April.
- Michael Giacchino speaks about scoring Jupiter Ascending for the Wachowskis.
- Happy Birthday John Williams!
- Bill has been listening to Nightcrawler by James Newton Howard, American Sniper by Clint Eastwood and Joseph S. DeBeasi, Saving Mr. Banks by Thomas Newman, and A Million Ways to Die in the West by Joel McNeely
- Oscar Nominations for Best Song:
- “Everything Is Awesome” from THE LEGO MOVIE – Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson
- “Glory” from SELMA – Music and Lyric by John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn
- “Grateful” from BEYOND THE LIGHTS – Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
- “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from GLEN CAMPBELL…I’LL BE ME – Music and Lyric by Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond
- “Lost Stars” from BEGIN AGAIN – Music and Lyric by Gregg Alexander and Danielle Brisebois
- Oscar Nominations for Best Score: