SupportSupport us for free by using this search box the next time you buy anything from Amazon.
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
In this episode we talk to Gloria Cheng about her new album, look at the Oscar nominations, some recent news about Hans Zimmer and Alexander Desplat, Lord of the Rings concert news, and what Bill’s been listening to lately.
- Michael Mann responds to Harry Gregson-Williams Facebook post about the Blackhat score.
- Hans Zimmer bits:
- Alexander Desplat bits:
- Philip Glass and Marco Beltrami to co-score The Fantastic Four.
- Kickstarter project Score: A Film Music Documentary launches Feb. 15.
- Symphony Silicon Valley to play two LOTR cycles in April.
- Michael Giacchino speaks about scoring Jupiter Ascending for the Wachowskis.
- Happy Birthday John Williams!
- Bill has been listening to Nightcrawler by James Newton Howard, American Sniper by Clint Eastwood and Joseph S. DeBeasi, Saving Mr. Banks by Thomas Newman, and A Million Ways to Die in the West by Joel McNeely
- Oscar Nominations for Best Song:
- “Everything Is Awesome” from THE LEGO MOVIE – Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson
- “Glory” from SELMA – Music and Lyric by John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn
- “Grateful” from BEYOND THE LIGHTS – Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
- “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from GLEN CAMPBELL…I’LL BE ME – Music and Lyric by Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond
- “Lost Stars” from BEGIN AGAIN – Music and Lyric by Gregg Alexander and Danielle Brisebois
- Oscar Nominations for Best Score:
In this episode we interview Craig Safan (The Last Starfighter), look at the Hollywood Reporter composer round table discussion, Golden Globe winner Jóhann Jóhannson, what we’ve been listening to, and our predictions for the 2015 Oscars.
- Congrats to Golden Globes winner Jóhann Jóhannsson, for The Theory of Everything.
- John Williams cancels appearance with San Diego Symphony due to illness.
- Hollywood Reporter round-table discussion with Zimmer, Beltrami, Reznor, Elfman, Powell.
- Guesses for 2015 Oscar nominations.
- New CD releases: King Solomon’s Mines 2CD (J Goldsmith), The Last Starfighter extended release (C Safan)
- Bill has been listening to The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (Shore), The Flash (Neely), and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind (Williams).
- Kevin has been listening to Big Eyes (Elfman) and The Theory of Everything (Jóhann Jóhannsson).
In this episode we discuss recent comments from Zimmer and Horner, get geeky over the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer, share what we’ve been listening to, and interview Arrow and The Flash composer Blake Neely.
- Hans Zimmer talks about the music business.
- James Horner talks Spider-Man 2 here and here.
- Bill’s been listening to Arrow (Blake Neely) and Monuments Men (Alexander Desplat).
- Kevin’s been listening to Coco and Igor (Yared and Stravinsky).
- Discussion on James Horner’s comments, Hans Zimmer’s comments, and tentpole movie scoring.
- Super geeky corner: John Williams’ new music for the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer
- Interview with Blake Neely.
In this episode we look at Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, and Patrick Doyle in the news, talk about the sound mix issues surrounding Interstellar plus our thoughts on the score, and interview orchestrator and Omni Music Publisher owner Tim Rodier.
- Is Patrick Doyle the strongest Marvel composer so far?
- Howard Shore talks Hobbit and SNL
- Howard Shore interview in the Hollywood Reporter
- Hans Zimmer talks Interstellar
- Interesting Slate article/interview with Hans Zimmer
- Christopher Nolan addresses the sound/music mix of Interstellar
- A review of a Danny Elfman concert performed by the Columbus Symphony
- A list of live LOTR performance in April
- Bill’s been listening to Interstellar, 12 Years a Slave (both by Hans Zimmer), and Kevin’s been listening to Interstellar, Psycho (Herrmann), The Stand (W.G. Snuffy Walden), World War Z (Beltrami)
In this episode we look at when Williams will start scoring the new Star Wars film, Back to the Future full score, and we interview composer Kevin MacLeod and filmmaker Ryan Camarda about their documentary Royalty Free: The Music of Kevin MacLeod.
- John Williams to begin scoring Episode VII soon.
- Breaking Bad composer, Dave Porter, to score spin-off “Better Call Saul.”
- A guilty pleasure: Is it Trent Reznor or a Household Appliance?
- Bill’s Been Listening To: The Lego Movie (Mark Mothersbaugh), Grand Budapest Hotel (Alexandre Desplat), The Walking Dead Season 4 (B McCreary), Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For (Robert Rodriquez and Carl Thiel)
- Kevin’s Been Listening To: Gotham (Graeme Revell)
- New Releases: BTAS Volume 3 (Shirley Walker), “John Williams’s Film Music” by Emilio Audissino (book), Back to the Future score by Omni Music Publishing
- Interview with Ryan Camarda, filmmaker and Kevin MacLeod, composer (IMDB)
- A spreadsheet with a list of other top YouTube Producers who use Kevin’s Music.
- Royalty Free’s website: RoyaltyFreeDoc.com
- Kickstarter Link:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryancamarda/royalty-free-the-music-of-kevin-macleod