SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
We talk to Kronos Quartet founder David Harrington about Fifty for the Future:The Kronos Learning Repertoire, commissioning 50 new works showcasing approaches to the quartet and designed expressly for the training of students and emerging professionals.
This week, we say goodbye to Sirs Peter Maxwell Davies and George Martin, Yale’s MOOC, the Florence Foster Jenkins trailer, The Shining gets an opera treatment in Minnesota, and Kronos Quartet premieres the first set of its 50 For the Future commissions.
- Yale School of Music launches its first massive open online course.
- The first Florence Foster Jenkins trailer released.
- Sir George Martin (the fifth Beatle) dies at 90.
- Stephen King’s The Shining to be staged as an opera in Minnesota.
- Kronos Quartet will premiere the first set of its 50 For the Future commissions.
- The music world says goodbye to Sir Peter Maxwell Davies.
This week on SoundNotion, the panel is joined by sound-artist/ improviser/composer/singer/guitarist/electronic-musician/educator Dafna Naphtali. We discuss coding, Wii controllers, invisible instruments, and programming humanness through (just the right amount of) randomness.
This week SoundNotion, we discuss the Grammys, some steps in the right direction for women composers, how the performance by YOLA at the Super Bowl disappointed the tux and tails crowd and say goodbye to some composing greats.
- Goodbye Steven Stucky. You are well loved.
- Congrats to the 2016 Grammy Award Winners
- Met to Stage Its First Opera by a Woman Since 1903.
- City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra appoints Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla as music director. You say her name like this.
- Classical music press was not impressed by YOLA in the halftime show.
- Buy this great female composer t-shit form Juice Vocal.
- RIP Leslie Bassett.
This week on SoundNotion, violinist, writer, singer, performer, and songwriter Ellen McSweeney joins the panel to discuss her new project, Artist’s Huddle. Also, Brooklyn Rider’s new cellist and the New York Phil says it’s pronounced “Yahp van ZVAY-den.”
- Ellen McSweeney
- Artist’s Huddle
- Artist’s Huddle podcast
- Artist’s Huddle blog
- Jaap van Zweden (pronounced “Yahp van ZVAY-den”) named music director for the New York Philharmonic.
- Gustavo Dudamel and Youth Orchestra LA to perform at Super Bowl 50 halftime show.
- Brooklyn Rider‘s new cellist is Michael Nicolas.