SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: Alexandre Desplat
In this episode we cover a ton of recent news, interviews, awards, announcements, and upcoming scoring assignments. We discuss the new score released by Omni Music Publishing: Silverado, plus what we’ve been listening to lately.
- Awards: John Williams wins a Grammy for Book Thief, Desplat wins an Oscar, a Grammy, and BAFTA for Grand Budapest Hotel, and John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn for music and lyrics to the song Glory (from Selma), James Newton Howard to receive Max Steiner Award at 8th Annual Hollywood in Vienna; Elliot Goldenthal to receive ASCAP Founders Award.
- Interviews: interview with Zimmer, Jeff Beal NPR interview, Randy Newman being trouble for directors, Elfman 50 Shades of Gray video
- NPR discusses a score that’s ineligible to win an Oscar
- Avengers: Age of Ultron poster says “Music by Brian Tyler; Additional Music By Danny Elfman”
- Hans Zimmer to write all hero themes for BvS.
- Desplat to score Star Wars spinoff.
- Thomas Newman will score new Spielberg film Bridge of Spies instead of John Williams
- The Star Wars: Force Awakens score will record in Los Angeles and not London
- Silverado released from Omni Music Publishing
- Pacific Symphony premiered JNH Violin Concerto a few weeks ago.
- The Pittsburgh Pops announced a Howard Shore concert to close their 2015-16 season. June 24-26, 2016
- Randy Newman to perform with KC Symphony June 10th
- What We’ve Been Listening To:
- Bill: Flash, Arrow (Blake Neely), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Walking Dead (Bear McCreary), House of Cards Season 3 (Jeff Beal)
- Kevin: Game of Thrones
In this episode we talk to Gloria Cheng about her new album, look at the Oscar nominations, some recent news about Hans Zimmer and Alexander Desplat, Lord of the Rings concert news, and what Bill’s been listening to lately.
- Michael Mann responds to Harry Gregson-Williams Facebook post about the Blackhat score.
- Hans Zimmer bits:
- Alexander Desplat bits:
- Philip Glass and Marco Beltrami to co-score The Fantastic Four.
- Kickstarter project Score: A Film Music Documentary launches Feb. 15.
- Symphony Silicon Valley to play two LOTR cycles in April.
- Michael Giacchino speaks about scoring Jupiter Ascending for the Wachowskis.
- Happy Birthday John Williams!
- Bill has been listening to Nightcrawler by James Newton Howard, American Sniper by Clint Eastwood and Joseph S. DeBeasi, Saving Mr. Banks by Thomas Newman, and A Million Ways to Die in the West by Joel McNeely
- Oscar Nominations for Best Song:
- “Everything Is Awesome” from THE LEGO MOVIE – Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson
- “Glory” from SELMA – Music and Lyric by John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn
- “Grateful” from BEYOND THE LIGHTS – Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
- “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from GLEN CAMPBELL…I’LL BE ME – Music and Lyric by Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond
- “Lost Stars” from BEGIN AGAIN – Music and Lyric by Gregg Alexander and Danielle Brisebois
- Oscar Nominations for Best Score:
In this episode we interview Bones composer Julia Newmann, talk in-depth about Michael Giacchino’s score to Dawn of Planet of the Apes, talk about what else we’ve been listening to lately, and look at which composers are being honored in Europe.
- Variety interviews “Fargo” composer, Jeff Russo.
- Alexandre Desplat to head jury at Venice Film Festival.
- Hans Zimmer will be honored at the Zurich Film Festival, which includes a film music competition.
- Listen to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes; read the silly DOTPOTA track titles.
- John Williams, Gustavo Dudamel, and Gustavo Santaolalla discussed film scoring at the LA Museum of Art on July 21.
- Rumor: Christopher Young to score Doctor Strange.
- Bill has been listening to DOTPOTA (Michael Giacchino), Game of Thrones Season 4 (Ramin Djawadi), Night Crossing (J Goldsmith), and Deep Rising (J Goldsmith).
- Kevin has been listening to Chef (Various), Edge of Tomorrow (Christoph Beck), Jersey Boys, DOTPOTA (Giacchino).
- Bill and Kevin discuss Michael Giacchino’s score to Dawn of Planet of the Apes.
- Julia Newmann interview (Bones composer, seasons 1-9)
In this episode, we interview John Ottman, composer of the film X-Men: Days of Future Past, discuss what we’ve been listening to this week, look at headlines of film music concerts, new scoring assignments, and cool videos.
- The two new Star Trek films will be going on a concert tour.
- The Pacific Symphony will play a concert consisting of concert works of film composers.
- Mychael Danna receives Richard Kirk Award.
- Michael Giacchino will score Jurassic World.
- Michael Giacchino denies Star Wars rumors.
- Cool short video about Desplat’s score to Godzilla.
- A cool short about Kevin Kiner’s music for the new show Star Wars: Rebels
- Bill’s been listening to Dennis the Menace (J Goldsmith), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (H Zimmer), Meteor Man (Cliff Eidelmann), and Star Wars: The Clone Wars (K Kiner)
- Kevin’s been listening to Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Kevin Kiner), Godzilla (Desplat), Hannibal (Brian Reitzell)
- Interview with John Ottman
In this episode we talk about the Oscars, JJ Abrams’ new Star Wars and who will score it, a few headlines, and what we’ve been listening to lately. Oh, and Happy Birthday John Williams!
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcast service using the links to the right.
- Daniel Licht “The Art of Writing a Television Score.”
- Golden State Pops Orchestra to have an all-Alan Silvestri concert on 2/16/13.
- Petra Haden (violinist, vocalist) covers film themes; full album stream here.
- We’ve been listening to Safe, House of Cards, How to Train Your Dragon
- New Star Wars VII directed by JJ Abrams; who should write the score?
- Oscar Nominations for music