SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: Claire Chase
The New York Philharmonic is looking for a new music director, the Grammys are in, the American Composers Forum announces its 2015 _Champrions of New Music_ awards, and the Minnesota Orchestra is going to Cuba (via Germany for some reason).
This week on SoundNotion, we ponder questions for the ages. What does it mean to be a music entrepreneur (or is there such a thing)? What do you say when people ask you what kind of music you compose? Have a question about music that you’re afraid to ask?
- This week on SoundNotion, we ponder questions for the ages. What is a music entrepreneur (ICE CEO and artistic director Claire Chase should know)? Is there such a thing (R. Andrew Lee says no. Alex Shapiro says yes.)? Has it always been a thing and now we’re just giving it a name (Dave says yes)? Want to hear more from Andrew or Alex. They’ve both been on the show.
- And speaking of giving something a name, Dean C. Minderman at NewMusicBox wants to know what you tell someone who asks what kind of music you perform or composer? Hmmm… new, modern, concert, art, experimental, new classical, post classical, alt classical, indie classical, contemporary classical, avant garde, serious music…
- Ellen McSweeney wants to know, ever have a question about music that you were afraid to ask? Her NewMusicBox series Matters of the Art is for you.
- On SoundNotion 152, we featured all four finalists the the 2014 American Composers Forum National Composition Contest. The votes are in and Todd Lerew wins with his work for So Percussion flagging entrainment of ultradian rhythms and the consequences thereof.
- Chicago based music critic Lawrence A. Johnson wants to hear more American music being performed, so he decided to do something about it. The American Music Project will support this goal with commissions and grants for performances.
- The music world bids farewell to Australian composer Peter Sculthorpe (1929-2014).
This Week on SoundNotion composer/writer/guitar sample maker Alexandra Gardner joins the panel to discuss her work for guitar and electronics, working with prog rock drummer Alan White of Yes and the week’s news.
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcast service using the links to the right.
- This Week on SoundNotion composer/writer/guitar sample maker Alexandra Gardner joins the panel to discuss writing for NewMusicBox, her work for guitar and electronics and collaborating with prog rock drummer Alan White of Yes.
- In orchestra news, Minnesota is locked out, San Antonio isn’t and they’re blaming management in Jacksonville.
- 2012 MacArthur “genius” awards to ICE founder/flutist Claire Chase and Chris Thile.
- The Rest is Noise Festival gets written about by someone who should have read what her article was written about.
- The English National Opera suggests you Undress for Opera. How about Streaking for Ballet? Jessica Duchen digs into it.
- Beck (and friends) mix some Glass (into something fun to listen to).