SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: Danny Elfman
In this episode we interview Downton Abbey composer John Lunn, talk about what we’ve been listening to lately, discuss the summer scores of Brian Tyler and Michael Giacchino, and look at headlines.
- Hans Zimmer played keyboard in a live orchestra performance of Interstellar.
- AFM sues major studios over international scores.
- Variety has an article about the Summer of Giacchino.
- Brian Tyler on Furious 7 and Avengers music.
- Score review of Age of Ultron from Examiner.
- Ratatouille in Concert at Royal Albert Hall on 10/28/15.
- Bill has been listening to Flash, Arrow (Blake Neely), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Bear McCreary), Avengers: Age of Ultron (Danny Elfman, Brian Tyler), Daredevil (John Paesano), Jupiter Ascending (M Giacchino)
- Kevin has been listening to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (McCreary), Better Call Saul (Dave Porter), Tomorrowland preview at Epcot (Giacchino)
- Interview with John Lunn.
In this episode we cover a ton of recent news, interviews, awards, announcements, and upcoming scoring assignments. We discuss the new score released by Omni Music Publishing: Silverado, plus what we’ve been listening to lately.
- Awards: John Williams wins a Grammy for Book Thief, Desplat wins an Oscar, a Grammy, and BAFTA for Grand Budapest Hotel, and John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn for music and lyrics to the song Glory (from Selma), James Newton Howard to receive Max Steiner Award at 8th Annual Hollywood in Vienna; Elliot Goldenthal to receive ASCAP Founders Award.
- Interviews: interview with Zimmer, Jeff Beal NPR interview, Randy Newman being trouble for directors, Elfman 50 Shades of Gray video
- NPR discusses a score that’s ineligible to win an Oscar
- Avengers: Age of Ultron poster says “Music by Brian Tyler; Additional Music By Danny Elfman”
- Hans Zimmer to write all hero themes for BvS.
- Desplat to score Star Wars spinoff.
- Thomas Newman will score new Spielberg film Bridge of Spies instead of John Williams
- The Star Wars: Force Awakens score will record in Los Angeles and not London
- Silverado released from Omni Music Publishing
- Pacific Symphony premiered JNH Violin Concerto a few weeks ago.
- The Pittsburgh Pops announced a Howard Shore concert to close their 2015-16 season. June 24-26, 2016
- Randy Newman to perform with KC Symphony June 10th
- What We’ve Been Listening To:
- Bill: Flash, Arrow (Blake Neely), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Walking Dead (Bear McCreary), House of Cards Season 3 (Jeff Beal)
- Kevin: Game of Thrones
In this episode we interview Craig Safan (The Last Starfighter), look at the Hollywood Reporter composer round table discussion, Golden Globe winner Jóhann Jóhannson, what we’ve been listening to, and our predictions for the 2015 Oscars.
- Congrats to Golden Globes winner Jóhann Jóhannsson, for The Theory of Everything.
- John Williams cancels appearance with San Diego Symphony due to illness.
- Hollywood Reporter round-table discussion with Zimmer, Beltrami, Reznor, Elfman, Powell.
- Guesses for 2015 Oscar nominations.
- New CD releases: King Solomon’s Mines 2CD (J Goldsmith), The Last Starfighter extended release (C Safan)
- Bill has been listening to The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (Shore), The Flash (Neely), and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind (Williams).
- Kevin has been listening to Big Eyes (Elfman) and The Theory of Everything (Jóhann Jóhannsson).
In this episode we look at Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, and Patrick Doyle in the news, talk about the sound mix issues surrounding Interstellar plus our thoughts on the score, and interview orchestrator and Omni Music Publisher owner Tim Rodier.
- Is Patrick Doyle the strongest Marvel composer so far?
- Howard Shore talks Hobbit and SNL
- Howard Shore interview in the Hollywood Reporter
- Hans Zimmer talks Interstellar
- Interesting Slate article/interview with Hans Zimmer
- Christopher Nolan addresses the sound/music mix of Interstellar
- A review of a Danny Elfman concert performed by the Columbus Symphony
- A list of live LOTR performance in April
- Bill’s been listening to Interstellar, 12 Years a Slave (both by Hans Zimmer), and Kevin’s been listening to Interstellar, Psycho (Herrmann), The Stand (W.G. Snuffy Walden), World War Z (Beltrami)
In this episode we look at the recent Emmy winners and nominees, talk about Danny Elfman’s newest assignment, a new repertoire for conductor Gustavo Dudamel, and look at what Bill and Kevin have been listening to.
- Alan Silverstri wins an EMMY for Cosmos: “Music composition for a series (original dramatic score): “Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey: Standing Up in the Milky Way,” Fox and NatGeo. (He won in 2 categories: music for a series and “outstanding original main title theme music”)
- FOTS Michael Price and David Arnold win an EMMY for Sherlock: His Last Vow “Music composition for a miniseries, movie or special: “Sherlock: His Last Vow (Masterpiece),” PBS.
- FOTS Jeff Beal (and fellow Emmy nominee) signs with G. Schirmer
- Danny Elfman to score “Fifty Shades of Grey“
- Happy Birthday Scott Glasgow, another FOTS
- LA Phil Gala on September 30 to honor John Williams. Dudamel will conduct Star Wars.
- BIll and Kevin have been listening to The Raid 2 (Joseph Trapanese, Fajar Yuskemal, Aria Prayogi), Guardians of the Galaxy (Tyler Bates), Orange is the New Black Seasons 1-2,(Scott Doherty, Brandon Jay, Gwendolyn Sanford), Hemlock Grove Season 2 (Nathan Barr), Empire of the Sun 2CD (J Williams), How to Train Your Dragon 2 (John Powell), Inside Llewyn Davis (T Bone Burnett and Marcus Mumford)