SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: International Contemporary Ensemble
This week on SoundNotion, classical music gender politics, Detroit’s new streaming service, ICE hired an executive director, China brings the west to the east in Tehran, @callForScores is the bot you’re looking for and we say farewell to Columbia House.
- @callForScores is the bot you’re looking for.
- Marzena Diakun and Ruth Reinhardt make history at Tanglewood.
- International Contemporary Ensemble hired Vanessa Rose as executive director.
- The China Philharmonic brings the west to the east in Tehran.
- The Detroit Symphony has a new streaming service.
- Rachel Peters at NMBx asks who’s singing her work.
- RIP Columbia House.
Du Yun joins us this week to talk about attracting younger audiences, Zaha Hadid’s new opera house, and her piece, Visissitudes No. 1.
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcast service using the links to the right.
This week’s panel:
This week’s topics include:
- The Toronto Symphony Orchestra figures out that “shorter concerts, cheaper tickets, and more partying” leads to a younger audience. Brian Wise, Greg Sandow, and Marcia Adair chime in with a few words.
- Designed by Zaha Hadid, the new opera house in Guangzhou, China dazzles the eyes and invigorates the imagination.
- Has Aldeburgh Music become a celebrity party? The author of On An Overgrown Path takes issue with the festival’s recent approach to new music.
- Alexandra Gardner discusses the practicality and difficulty of using specific technology in new compositions.
- Gay themes in Opera North’s production of Harvey Brough’s Beached have recently caused quite a kerfuffle. Nico Muhly gives his own two cents/pence.
- Be sure to check out Du Yun’s recent album, released under her “pop diva alter ego, duYun.” It’s called Shark In You. (Amazon MP3 – iTunes)
Pick of the week: