SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: Jane Chu
This week on SN, friend of the show and the strongest beard in new music Rob Deemer brings his new clarinet/bass clarinet concerto (premiered by The President’s Own), we talk music ed standards, Amazon’s new streaming service and Jan Chu heads the NEA.
- This week on SoundNotion, we have long time friend of the show and the strongest beard in new music Rob Deemer with his new clarinet/bass clarinet concerto “Home” (premiered by The President’s Own and commissioned by long-time member of the group Jay Niepoetter).
- Rob also helped NAfME last year with some new education standards for music theory and composition. They hadn’t been updated since 1994.
- Jane Chu officially takes the helm at the NEA.
- In a shocking move (sarcasm added), Amazon has launched a new music streaming service.
This week on SoundNotion we discuss Charles Wuorinen’s opera Brokeback Mountain, the potential death knell for physical media, Osmo Vanska’s line in the sand, Obama’s new nominee to chair the NEA and Amazon’s symphony soap opera Mozart in the Jungle.
- This week on SoundNotion, the panel discusses Charles Wuorinen‘s opera Brokeback Mountain which is streaming for free now at medici.tv (based on the original short story).
- Recent Billboard numbers could indicate the beginning of the end for audio CDs.
- Osmo Vänskä wants to return to Minnesota over CEO Michael Henson‘s fired body.
- President Obama to nominate Jane Chu, current president of the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts in Kansas City, to chair the NEA.
- The panel has some strong words of criticism and praise for Dennis Tobenski‘s NewMusicBox piece on the business of being a composer. (It inspired Dave to try Gumroad.)
- And Amazon Original Series has a new soap opera set in a symphony orchestra, Mozart in the Jungle (the panel liked the pilot episode).
- Mozart in the Jungle pilot episode – Amazon Prime
CORRECTION: In the episode, we erroneously gave the impression that you must be an Amazon Prime subscriber to watch the pilot episode of Mozart in the Jungle. Blair Tindall, author of the book on which the show is based, let us know that this is not the case. Anybody can watch without being a Prime member. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for setting us straight, Blair. Hooray free things!