SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: John Williams
Nerd Alert! We sit down with film music experts Bill Withem and Kevin Wilt to talk about the John Williams Star Wars music and how we as non-film composers relate.
In this episode we cover a ton of recent news, interviews, awards, announcements, and upcoming scoring assignments. We discuss the new score released by Omni Music Publishing: Silverado, plus what we’ve been listening to lately.
- Awards: John Williams wins a Grammy for Book Thief, Desplat wins an Oscar, a Grammy, and BAFTA for Grand Budapest Hotel, and John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn for music and lyrics to the song Glory (from Selma), James Newton Howard to receive Max Steiner Award at 8th Annual Hollywood in Vienna; Elliot Goldenthal to receive ASCAP Founders Award.
- Interviews: interview with Zimmer, Jeff Beal NPR interview, Randy Newman being trouble for directors, Elfman 50 Shades of Gray video
- NPR discusses a score that’s ineligible to win an Oscar
- Avengers: Age of Ultron poster says “Music by Brian Tyler; Additional Music By Danny Elfman”
- Hans Zimmer to write all hero themes for BvS.
- Desplat to score Star Wars spinoff.
- Thomas Newman will score new Spielberg film Bridge of Spies instead of John Williams
- The Star Wars: Force Awakens score will record in Los Angeles and not London
- Silverado released from Omni Music Publishing
- Pacific Symphony premiered JNH Violin Concerto a few weeks ago.
- The Pittsburgh Pops announced a Howard Shore concert to close their 2015-16 season. June 24-26, 2016
- Randy Newman to perform with KC Symphony June 10th
- What We’ve Been Listening To:
- Bill: Flash, Arrow (Blake Neely), Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Walking Dead (Bear McCreary), House of Cards Season 3 (Jeff Beal)
- Kevin: Game of Thrones
In this episode we interview Craig Safan (The Last Starfighter), look at the Hollywood Reporter composer round table discussion, Golden Globe winner Jóhann Jóhannson, what we’ve been listening to, and our predictions for the 2015 Oscars.
- Congrats to Golden Globes winner Jóhann Jóhannsson, for The Theory of Everything.
- John Williams cancels appearance with San Diego Symphony due to illness.
- Hollywood Reporter round-table discussion with Zimmer, Beltrami, Reznor, Elfman, Powell.
- Guesses for 2015 Oscar nominations.
- New CD releases: King Solomon’s Mines 2CD (J Goldsmith), The Last Starfighter extended release (C Safan)
- Bill has been listening to The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (Shore), The Flash (Neely), and Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind (Williams).
- Kevin has been listening to Big Eyes (Elfman) and The Theory of Everything (Jóhann Jóhannsson).
In this episode we look at when Williams will start scoring the new Star Wars film, Back to the Future full score, and we interview composer Kevin MacLeod and filmmaker Ryan Camarda about their documentary Royalty Free: The Music of Kevin MacLeod.
- John Williams to begin scoring Episode VII soon.
- Breaking Bad composer, Dave Porter, to score spin-off “Better Call Saul.”
- A guilty pleasure: Is it Trent Reznor or a Household Appliance?
- Bill’s Been Listening To: The Lego Movie (Mark Mothersbaugh), Grand Budapest Hotel (Alexandre Desplat), The Walking Dead Season 4 (B McCreary), Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For (Robert Rodriquez and Carl Thiel)
- Kevin’s Been Listening To: Gotham (Graeme Revell)
- New Releases: BTAS Volume 3 (Shirley Walker), “John Williams’s Film Music” by Emilio Audissino (book), Back to the Future score by Omni Music Publishing
- Interview with Ryan Camarda, filmmaker and Kevin MacLeod, composer (IMDB)
- A spreadsheet with a list of other top YouTube Producers who use Kevin’s Music.
- Royalty Free’s website: RoyaltyFreeDoc.com
- Kickstarter Link:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryancamarda/royalty-free-the-music-of-kevin-macleod
In this episode we look at current events, provocative articles, what we’ve been listening to, Grammys, Zimmer’s new Spider-Man theme (possibly), Shore’s new Hobbit score, and we interview orchestrator and composer Conrad Pope.
- John Williams talks about Star Wars VII and Indiana Jones V.
- Audiences for film music concerts are growing.
- Indiewire lists its Top 15 scores of 2013.
- 114 Film scores eligible for Oscars.
- L.A. Times article that highlights four film scores.
- Film/TV Grammy nominees announced.
- Hans Zimmer’s Spider-man theme revealed?
- Are synthesizers killing film and TV music?
- Bill’s been listening to The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Howard Shore), and Hitchcock (Danny Elfman).
- Kevin’s been listening to The Book Thief (John Williams) and The Hobbit: TDofS.
- New Releases: The Book Thief, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
- Interview with Conrad Pope.