SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: Kirsten Volness
In this episode, Andrea Cheeseman joins Ben and Nate in a discussion of electro-acoustic music from the performers perspective. Teaching new music, prep and tempo alterations are discussed. And Nate explains reverb for the 2 minute challenge.
- Ben continues to gush over Max 7
- Moog’s Sub 37 is out – basically it’s a Sub Phatty that’s duophonic!
- Microsketch lets you get your microtonal groove on on your iPad
- ProTools got you down? Cubase 8 is out!
- And Ableton is having their annual sale – 20% off, including IRCAM stuff!
- Our guest this month is Dr. Andrea Cheeseman, Associate Professor of Clarinet at Appalachian State University, and performer/commissioner/champion/teacher of new music!
- We discuss some of the pieces in her recent repertoire:
- Christopher Biggs‘ 10^33
- Ben Fuhrman‘s Recursion (for S)
- Nikola Resanovic‘s alt.music.ballistix
- Kirsten Volness‘ Ultraviolet
- Nate gets into Reverb for this month’s 2-minute challenge.
The Apple WWDC is on, Theremini hits the shelves, Pauline Oliveros’ Reverberations has a kickstarter, and composer, performer and educator Kirsten Volness joins us this month to discuss her pieces Precious Nothing and River Rising, and much more!
- THE THEREMINI IS FINALLY OUT!!! Ben has received his, and loves it. But he might have to reduce his caffeine consumption to properly play it…
- The Apple Worldwide Developer Conference is on!
- Apple preps the release of OSX 10.10 “Yosemite” and furthers the OSX iOS hybrid.
- iOS 8 is announced, steals the best of Android (other keyboards/widgets) and lets iOS apps talk/interact with each other.
- Apple buys Beats. Mostly for the streaming service, but also to sell overpriced headphones to teenagers.
- Important records is kickstarting a re-release of electroacoustic pioneer Pauline Oliveros‘ hugely influential “Reverberations” 12-disc set.
- Kirstin Volness joins us this week:
- Her Precious Nothing, perf. Hotel Elefant, is an amplified, audio affected, sometimes pop-musicy electro-acoustic 25 minute journey.
- River Rising for violin, stereo digital sound, and live electronics will sweep you away. :)
- She also tells us about her work with the Boston New Music Initiative, the Meridian Project, in education and much, much more!
- Nate takes 120 seconds to give a general overview of Audio Interfaces.