SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: Lord of the Rings
In this episode we look at Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, and Patrick Doyle in the news, talk about the sound mix issues surrounding Interstellar plus our thoughts on the score, and interview orchestrator and Omni Music Publisher owner Tim Rodier.
- Is Patrick Doyle the strongest Marvel composer so far?
- Howard Shore talks Hobbit and SNL
- Howard Shore interview in the Hollywood Reporter
- Hans Zimmer talks Interstellar
- Interesting Slate article/interview with Hans Zimmer
- Christopher Nolan addresses the sound/music mix of Interstellar
- A review of a Danny Elfman concert performed by the Columbus Symphony
- A list of live LOTR performance in April
- Bill’s been listening to Interstellar, 12 Years a Slave (both by Hans Zimmer), and Kevin’s been listening to Interstellar, Psycho (Herrmann), The Stand (W.G. Snuffy Walden), World War Z (Beltrami)
In this episode we look at film composer interviews with Broughton, Debney, and Beltrami, an award for Howard Shore, some upcoming concerts featuring Elfman and Shore, some new film score CD releases, and what we’ve been listening to lately.
- Howard Shore to receive Maestro Award
- Interviews on examiner.com with Bruce Broughton and Marco Beltrami
- John Debney:
- Recording has begun on JNH’s score for Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 1
- Danny Elfman to do a Halloween concert at the Nokia Theater, then Honda Theater.
- The entire LOTR Trilogy will accompanied by a live orchestra/chorus at Lincoln Center. April 8-12, 2015.
- Bill has been listening to: Tim’s Vermeer (Conrad Pope), Walking Dead S3 (Bear McCreary), Buck Rogers 2nd Season 4CD, Godzilla (A Desplat), X-Men DOFP (J Ottman), Doctor Who S8 (Murray Gold)
- Kevin has been listening to Doctor Who S8 (Murray Gold) and Arrow (Blake Neely)
- New Releases: The Lion King: Legacy Collection (will contain all of Zimmer’s score), Buck Rogers in the 25th Century 2nd Season 4CD (Stu Phillips, Glen A. Larson, Bruce Broughton, John Cacavas, Herbert Don Woods), Cocoon expansion/remastered (J Horner), Gorky Park (J Horner)
Join us as we discuss the latest headlines in film music, John Williams’ statue commission, and an article discussing the latest brass library from EastWest. We also show the second part of our Bruce Broughton interview!
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcast service using the links to the right.
- We discuss Michael Giacchino at D23; he talks about music for Pixar.
- TCM show honoring collaborations. Starting with JW and Spielberg.
- Howard Shore to score new Scorsese film, Hugo.
- Disney FINALLY releases The Black Hole score on CD at Intrada.com.
- The Lord of the Rings Symphony to be released on CD Tuesday, September 13th.
- Jeff describes sample libraries, then speaks about Peter Alexander’s review of Hollywood Brass.
- John Williams commissions statues of Copland, Bernstein, and Koussevitzky for Tanglewood grounds.
- We conclude our interview with Bruce Broughton, and discuss our thoughts afterwards.