SupportSupport us for free by using this Amazon link. Bookmark it and use it anytime you need to buy stuff on Amazon, and we'll get a teensy commission that helps out a lot. Did I mention it's free?
Support SoundNotion on Amazon!
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: NAMM
In this episode, Max Tfirn stops by to talk about turning images into sound, electromagnetic mics, ambient noise jams, and carting all the gear to gigs. Plus news from NAMM, and Ben explains bitcrushing.
- In this episode, Max Tfirn stops by to talk about turning images into sound, electromagnetic mics, ambient noise jams, and carting all the gear to gigs.
- We discuss his pieces Invisible Signals, Establish Corrupt Broken, and Through Noise Comes Being.
- Antelope Audio has created their first ProTools HD compatible interface, the Orion 32HD!
- Behringer’s DeepMind synth is now shipping.
- UVI has just upgraded their World Traditions library to World Suite.
- Ben explains bitcrushing for this month’s 2 minute challenge.
In a very special episode of Patch In, Ben and Nate talk with David Cope, creator of EMI and Emily Howell, the two composing AIs that he created, style, the nature of musical creativity, and breaking the rules. Also, NAMM, and Ben explains noise.
- In a very special episode of Patch In, Ben and Nate talk with David Cope, creator of EMI and Emily Howell, the two composing AIs that he created, style, the nature of musical creativity, and breaking the rules.
- NAMM has been showcasing some killer products, here’s some highlights.
- Keith McMillen has introduced the K-Mix – a programmable mixer/controller/8×10 interface (96k, 24bit), with built in effects and a FREAKING SURROUND ENCODER FOR $600!
- Moog is building a number of modular synths! If you have tons of money and space, they sound amazing.
- Speaking of Moog, they’ve released an update to the Theremini firmware allowing for advanced mode.
- Want a thunderbolt interface? Checkout Focusrite‘s new Clarett range! They’ve also updated their RED plugins for AAX format – free for existing, registered users.
- ProTools 12 is coming. It includes cloud storage and collaboration tools (for a fee), a new purchase model similar to Max/MSP (buy outright, or yearly or monthly licenses). They’re also plugging the AVID marketplace as a way to share tracks, get collaborators to lay down other instruments, buy plugins, and sell your work. They’re also introducing a new, FREE version, ProTools First – more on that when we get more info.
- Teenage Engineering, makers of the super cool OP-1 synth have three new synths for sale in their Pocket Operator series – unlike their big brother, they’re actually affordable. Synthtopia has a great write up on them.
- In this month’s 2-minute challenge, Ben makes some noise about, well, noise.
This month, Ben and Nate talk to Dr. Chet Udell about the Kickstarter for his eMersion controllers, the Margaret Guthman Competition, and an extended look at the amazing stuff announced at NAMM. Also, AVID gets delisted from the NASDAQ, and Nate tackles waveforms.
- Great new products coming out! Moog’s new Theremini (Ben’s got one coming in the mail!) and SUB 37 (where EVERY FREAKING POSSIBLE CONTROL IS MIDI CONTROLLABLE) and Korg is reissuing the ARP Odyssey (to release in September 2014)
- Also, Roland’s AIRA system looks like it is allkindsofawesome!
- And for software – McDSP has released their plugins in Reason as Rack Extensions, Cakewalk’s ZETA synth is now on iPad, DarkSynth (a Max/MSP based additive synth) is available for Ableton Live, and Bitwig Studio (Win/Mac/Linux competitor to Ableton) gets a release date. Also, AVID gets delisted from the NASDAQ!
- We talk a little about Andy Farnell‘s interesting Pd-contextualized approach to Designing Sound.
- Dr. Chester Udell joins us to talk about the eMersion Gesture Control System, his experience at the Margaret Guthman Musical Instrument Competition, and much, much more!
- Nate takes 120 seconds to touch on synthesizer waveforms.