SupportSupport us for free by using this search box the next time you buy anything from Amazon.
Help keep the lights on via PayPal.
Select your own level of support.
Our podcasts are licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Tag Archives: Southbank Centre
This week on SoundNotion, we’re joined by orchestra business guru Drew McManus. We discuss the departure of Osmo Vänskä in Minnesota, the final demise of New York City Opera, the orchestra strike in Germany and the success of the Rest is Noise Festival.
- This week on SoundNotion, we’re joined by orchestra business guru, web design hero, arts job matchmaker, best-dressed panelist, and long-time friend of the show Drew McManus.
- He stopped by to discuss the the departure of Osmo Vänskä in Minnesota and what it means for the future of the group and its fans.
- Drew rolls up his sleeves for a grizzly post-mortem following New York City Opera‘s bankruptcy filing.
- The Berlin Philharmonic leads a country-wide, one-day strike of over 100 orchestras.
- And even the stagehands are getting in on the Orchestramageddon action at Carnegie Hall. However, the brief strike has already been resolved.
- BUT WAIT – There is some good news for orchestral music this week over at Jessica Duchen‘s blog. Southbank Centre‘s The Rest is Noise Festival is going gangbusters and bringing in new audiences.
- BUT WAIT (again) – According to Bob Shingleton at On An Overgrown Path, the news is not that great and the audiences not that new.
- And lastly, don’t forget to nominate us for People’s Choice Podcast Award this week in the Cultural/Arts category. That would be very cool of you. Thanks.
This week on SoundNotion the Greenwood/Penderecki duo drop some new sounds, Alex Ross gets his own festival, the panels parses some Smooke Schtick, Opera Carolina is giving it away for free and Kyle Gann considers “quasi-objectivity” in music.
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcast service using the links to the right.
- FoTS Alex Ross gets a festival inspired by his book The Rest Is Noise.
- Jonny Greenwood and Krzysztof Penderecki collaborate on a new album! Wonder who will play guitar?
- FoTS David Smooke wants to know about Schtick vs Style.
- Opera Carolina wants your children to become addicted! “The first time’s free.”
- Kyle Gann says that composers must exercise their “Quasi-Objectivity.”
- And we listen to some yMusic. Why Music? NO, yMusic.